Monday, February 27, 2012

Granola Bar Recipe

I've had several of you ask, so here's the granola recipe I've been experimenting with lately.

I tweaked the original version a good bit, though I feel like it deserves credit for getting me on the right track.  It calls for corn syrup, brown sugar, sunflower kernels, raisins, toasted wheat germ and sesame seeds.  I either omitted these ingredients or substituted with something else I had on hand.  So if you want to compare my revised version to the original (I always do, but I'm a cooking nerd like that), have at it.  The original recipe can be found here.

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I use the natural, unsalted variety)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted (I use organic salted butter)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups oats (either quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
  • 1/4 cups nuts (I use walnuts)
  • 1/4 cup dried fruit (I use cranberries)
  • 1/8 cup chocolate chips (I use the organic, semi-sweet variety)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, butter and vanilla.  Stir in the oats, nuts and dried fruit.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
  3. Press into a square baking pan (I use 9-inch, but the original said 8-inch) coated with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (it usually takes mine 30, fyi) or until set and edges are browned.  Cool completely.  Cut into bars.
Seriously, this is so easy!  The most difficult part is waiting for them to cool completely before cutting into them.  {I finally remedied this by taking them out of the oven just before leaving to get the kids from school today.  It's the only way I can let them completely cool off!  When we got home, I covered the pan in foil and refrigerated them for a few hours.  I've been having trouble with them crumbling, so I thought that might help.  I just sliced them up five minutes ago and there was some improvement.  Let me know if you try this and have success in the "no crumbling" department.  Crumbles or not, still tasty!!!}

Enjoy!

PS- Sorry for the lack of pretty food pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment